On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 12:27:39PM +1000, Michael Lake wrote:
> I have installed a neat little perl script called "TLBMP - Tobi's Live BookMarks
>Presenter"
> by Tobias Oetiker (http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/) which places all your netscape
> bookmarks into a nice HTML page with search facility. It works as a CGI script but
> that means that it need to be able to see your bookmarks file. It works when I have
>set:
>
> drwx--x--x    5 mikel    mikel         664 Apr  1 11:51 .netscape
> -rw-r--r--    1 mikel    mikel      117660 Apr  1 11:41 .netscape/bookmarks.html
>
> but when you fire up Netscape after a short while the permissions get changed back
> to what Netscape wants to:
>
> drwx------    5 mikel    mikel         656 Apr  1 11:49 .netscape
> -rw-------    1 mikel    mikel      117660 Apr  1 11:41 .netscape/bookmarks.html

You have three options, in descending order of preference:
a) switch to a capital-F-Free browser, such as Konqueror (much better in
   KDE3), or Galeon
b) have the CGI script run as mikel, in which case it will have
   permission
c) hack the Netscape binary to not do that

--
Daniel Stone                                                <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
* liedra hands DanielS some big fat coldfusion files. Join the pain!