On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Jim Clark (Logique) wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >   Does anyone know if the cheap run of the mill USB webcams work under
> >   linux, if so how?
>
> swann USB smartcam deluxe (640x480) - $58 at umart.
> based on the ov511+ chip - so it works with linux.

Jim,
thanks for the tip. I ordered it from Umart.
I paid by direct debit, but they sent it COD anyway.
That fixed, I open the box and its a different webcam.
This is a Swann Versacam mini. Similar spec, but different chip :-(
This is an "STV0672" chip. I've found some references via google to
a Linux driver, but found only stale links so far.

  Any ideas? I suppose I'll have to send it back.

--
"The human race is faced with a cruel choice - work or daytime
television" -- Dave Barry