David Fitch was once rumoured to have said:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to get a 64k ISDN DoV link going.
> It's under debian potato (2.2.18 kernel).  I've apt-got installed
> isdnutils, loaded hisax module etc etc but where/how do I tell
> it to use DoV??

This is an absolute dog of a job to do.  I spent 3 weeks on this one
before *FINALLY* getting the Traverse instructions to work.

> I don't want to recompile anything as this box has no kernel
> source or compiler or make etc and I don't want to install them.

You will have to install compiler + source on a potato system then -
to enable DoV on Debian requires a recompile of ISDN4Linux, and of the
isdnutils.

First, follow traverse's kernel patching details,
http://www.traverse.com.au/Australia/html/driver.html - you will need
to run a kernel recompile to include the DoV support.

Next, install the debian isdnutils, and get the package source, and
all its builddeps (also a pain in the ass since potato's doesn't have
full builddeps IIRC).

Having unpacked the isdnutils source (apt-get source does that
automatically), rebuild the isdnutils package (dpkg-buildpackage), and
install the rebuilt copy.

Now, run isdnconfig, create ippp0, and edit the ippp0 dialup
configuration templates that isdnconfig creates.  Add the endpoint
number verbatim.  Include area codes, drop leading zeros.  etc.

Now, find the bit of that script that sets the outbound EAZ, and
prefix the number with a V *There*.  [I might be able to donate diffs
on this at some point in the future, our ISDN gateway is offline at
the moment due to our endpoint not being configured for DoV]

Restart isdnutils.

Now hopefully, you can dial-up using isdnctrl dial ippp0.  If DoV is
working, you'll get a kernel message saying the call type is voice.

If you want to keep the link up 24/7, I wrote ijolt, which is a very
simple link keepalive daemon.  You will need to compile it too.

it can be downloaded from http://kitsumi.xware.cx/ijolt-0.1.tgz

The README file details its configuration.

C.