On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, savanna wrote:

> I'm currently trying to get email going on my Mandrake 7.2 laptop, just
> wondering if I'm going about it the hard way (it seems a lot of work). I've

Mail can be complex, buy the common case you describe should be easy.

> I've installed getmail to
> get my mail from the different POP servers - that was easy.
>
> Sending mail seems a bit harder - the doco suggests I install a mail server
> like sendmail, exim or qmail. Is that really necessary?

Some mail clients, such as pine, have a built-in MTA. ie they talk SMTP to
your ISP. This only works when you are online of course.

> Is there any easier
> way to do it? (looking at the web pages for email servers, it seems a major
> amount of study is required to get a mail server going).

You dont need to understand sendmail to use it. Nobody really understands
sendmail.cf . Just install the standard package. Relaying should be turned
off already. You may want to change one thing - set your ISP mail relay as
a 'smart host'.

--
        The origin of Truth is Doubt - Socrates