Security= ?
Share, Domain, User, Server ?

Mine works easiest with security=share

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
   security = share
# Use password server option only with security = server or security = domain
# When using security = domain, you should use password server = *
#   password server =

Also you might need to use smbadduser to add users to smbpasswd

I seem to remember that the script smbadduser was missing from Samba which came with
RedHat 7.1, so let me know, and I'll send you the script.

Chris