At Tue, 23 Apr 2002 17:51:43 -0700 (PDT), Mark A. Bell wrote:
> The problem is, my Linux machine is not connected to the net so I can't
> just use 'apt-get upgrade' to install the 'testing' version. My (now
> much neglected) windows laptop has a net connection.
>
> So my question is, in general terms what will I have to do to upgrade
> my current version of Dia to the newer 'testing' version?

see the "apt-zip" package for a method of using apt over removable
media (floppies, zip drives, etc).

alternatively, you could use "apt-get --print-uris install dia" or
something to just get a list of urls you should download (somehow) and
the filenames where you should put them. then just run "apt-get
install dia" and it will magically find what it was about to think of
looking for.

personally, i'd just download the source "apt-get source dia" (or get
the files directly (from apt-get --print-uris source dia):
 http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/dia/dia_0.88.1-3.dsc
 http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/dia/dia_0.88.1.orig.tar.gz
 http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/dia/dia_0.88.1-3.diff.gz

transfer them over to the linux box and then do:

 cd /some/directory/wot/i/copied/those/files/to
 dpkg-source -x dia_0.88.1-3.dsc
 cd dia-0.88.1  (or whatever the directory ends up being called)
 dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc
  (compile, compile)
 sudo dpkg -i ../dia_0.88.1-3_*.deb

it will probably get a little hairier than that, since the dia package
might build-depend on some other woody packages (newer versions of
debhelper is a common one).

--
 - Gus