Slug people,

I'd like to get a discussion going about licensing things through hardware
or having licenses on drivers.... I think sometimes it is great like the
commercial license for the GSM codec MS net meeting uses in the DSP chip in
my quicknet card.

But what really shits me is when a vendor has made Linux drivers but chooses
not to release them (ether in binary or better open source) to everyone -
just a few entities that pay and or sign documents.

Is it right to make people pay for after-market Linux drivers from 3rd party
vendors - when the 3rd parties (Im talking Xig, MetroX, OSS, Mandrake, the
commercial CUPS driver ppl ... not to name names) just are people who have
"relationships" with the hardware manufacturer.

I bought my OSS license in 97 and told it would last forever (from the sales
hype at the time). In 2000 they solicited more money just because I bought a
newer crystal card than what I previously had. A few months ago I bought a
Lexmark Z12 only to find out Mandrake has the drivers but I have to give
them $150 for the boxed "commercial" version of their Linux distribution to
get cups drivers.

I paid OSS twice but I'll be dammed if I'll pay mandrake Inc to get my
printer going. I feel like committing ethical software piracy. If Lexmark
can give the driver source to Mandrake, I should get equal treatment - after
all I bought their bloody hardware. Any one who would like to participate in
such venture may send me package no questions asked :_)

These 3rd party device vendors should just rack off. It should be free or
not at all. It isn't right to have "Linux hardware taxes" to replace the
Microsoft OEM tax when it eventually goes. Why do some vendors still need to
guard the API to their hardware?

Let me know what you all think.

Cheers,

Luke McKee