On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 10:21:14AM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> What about a self authenticating mail systems where you have to have a valid
> email address.
>
> so some thing like
>
> 1) I would like to join the email list
> 2) mail system send message with random key to email address
> 3) user returns email with the random key
> 4) valid account (well) or after 2-5 days time out the email
>
> This could be automated

It hasn't reached the stage where we get much spam from addresses that
are actually SUBSCRIBED to the list. (Except for the Outlook virii, but
they normally get caught by the "mail size" filter, because they're
generally 100K or so.) So we don't need to make it harder to subscribe
to the list than it already is.

The spam comes from random spammers around the globe, and is allowed
through to the list (if not caught by our filters, including
SpamAssassin) because anyone, subscriber or not, is allowed to post to
the list.

There is always considerable debate about turning that off, because the
number of subscribers we have who subscribe from one address and post
from another is non-trivial, and the moderaters would have to approve
ALL their posts.

-Mary.