> Dear Kevin,
>
> Well that depends, you can do what I did a long time ago and work
> for yourself and refuse to work with unacceptable O/S's. Or you can work
> for a Boss, who controls what you do and how you do it.
>
> We might stress, that it is your decision what you do with your
> Lives and what technologies you work with. Linux and open-source has been
> very kind to us, such that it empowered us to put Redmond completely
> behind us and be independant. If you are not in a position to be
> self-employed, then perhaps work on convincing your employers to deploy
> more linux/unix/bsd, dunno dude... thats my $0.02c

Dude,
you need to chill a little bit. I agree, everyone makes their own life
decisions either directly or indirectly, and probably shouldn't whinge about
their lot, but there are very few jobs available that are what we would call
ideal for ourselves (mind you, most people are never satisfied anyway) and
not everyone has the cash/ability/knowledge/whatever to get up and start
their own business. There are many people on this list who work with some
OS's they don't particularly like, and a lot of us _do_ try to convince
employers to deploy more unicies, but why make it a religion when you need
to get the references to get to the good work, and the axe is over your neck
at any rate. Fact of the matter is that there _are_ other OS's out there
that someone _has_ to work with, and people need to make a living to get
themselves in a position to work how/where they want (plus the fact that at
least if _you_ are the person working the network with 5 ms servers and 2
unix servers, you'll know that someone else isn't screwing up the unix
machines <grin>). Some of us are contract bound (by nasty big companies who
take advantage of naive young up and coming professionals - <sigh>), and
whatever the reason for using what you call "unacceptable OS's", I think
getting on your high horse and preaching is neither encouraging, nor (to use
Jaq's word) productive.

If you are so interested in promoting open source and such, do a talk at a
meeting, encourage people, do posts that are relevant and useful to people.
I mean in the time I've been on the slug mailing list there are only 4 posts
from you, all of them vaguely condescending.

There, that is _my_ 2 cents worth.

Regards,
Pia Smith