Hi Marty,

Thanks for your advice.

> This is a problem. Windows shouldn't be talking about dialling up
> when you
> ping a local address. Check your IP settings on this machine,
> particularly
> the subnet mask (probably should be 255.255.255.0).

The IP address for my dialup adapteris set to:
"Obtain IP address automatically"
The bindings are set to:
"Client for MS networks"

The IP addresses for my ethernet adapter are set to:
IP address: 192.168.100.10
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
The bindings are set to:
"Client for MS networks"
"File and printer sharing for MS networks"

This morning I tried re-installing my network card (Xircom Creditcard
Ethernet Adapter IIps) from scratch and reinstalling the drivers from
the disk. I also ran the diagnostic test program on the Xircom disk and
it showed no errors. No traffic, but no errors.

The dongle on my Xircom card is showing a steady green light and a
flashing yellow light.

I can't ping debian from windows or windows from debian.

What do you think I should check next?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Mark A. Bell