On Thu, 2002-05-30 at 09:36, Michael Still wrote:
> On Thu, 30 May 2002, Richard Hayes wrote:
>
> > The other day there was an article on a new Transmeta based supercomputer.
> > Does anyone know an Australian distributor for any Transmeta-based systems?
>
> There is a model of the Sony Vaio, and I think a NEC laptop which use the
> Transmeta chips. These are available in Australia.

There's also a Fujitsu, which I think is still vapourware.

I have a crusoe-powered Vaio, and as much as I love it, it wouldn't make
much of an X terminal.  The internal LCD has a resolution of 1024x480,
and the external display only works with an unaccelerated VESA driver,
with noticeable performance loss.
It's also not as quiet as I'd like.  There are fans, and the hard drive,
especially, is surprisingly loud.

--
Pete
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game
of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of
any of the other players (ie., everybody), to being involved in an
obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank
cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules,
and who smiles all the time.
                -- Good Omens
                   Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman