This morning I turned my monitor on and was surprised with my first ever
linux crash.  That is to say the screensaver was screen-locked and I was
unable to kill X or switch to other consoles. Also the disk activity
lights for both my HDDs were lit up solid.

I've been poking around in my log files to look for evidence of what
caused this.  The first time I rebooted I couldn't open a gnome-terminal
without getting a segfault error though things are running sweetly now.
Not wanting this to happen again can people point to where I should look
to investigate this further?
Ta.

system=redhat7.1 with updates.