At Wed, 12 Jun 2002 01:24:39 +1000, Minh Van Le wrote:
> The problem with dump is that it can't do incremental backups on regular
> directories. Dump must do a full backup of regular files/directories ie. a
> level 0 dump, which isn't flexible enough for my site. To do incremental
> backups with dump, the dump must be performed on an entire filesystem, the
> reason I think is because it can't handle complicating the /etc/dumpdates
> database.

not really. dump/restore work at the filesystem level (ie: they open
/dev/hda1 and "understand" the filesystem directly). this is why they
have such a hard time crossing devices - and need to be specifically
written for each filesystem.

every other tool (that i know of) works at the normal userspace level
and so has no problems crossing device boundaries.

the different access methods give you different
advantages/disadvantages - just realise that dump/restore are in a
different "class" than most of the other backup methods.

--
 - Gus