At 18 Jun 2002 21:24:34 +1000, Ken Foskey wrote:
> Libtool is about portability, automake is about 'easy'.  Software should
> be portable across platforms without killing the porter, libtool helps
> hide the screwed up Unix environments out there.

imo, libtool tries too hard for most cases.

if you want dynamically loaded plugins, and have them faked even when
the platform can't even do that, then libtool is absolutely awesome.

if all you want is a shared library where thats easy, and a static
library where it isn't, then libtool just gets in the way far too
much (imo).

but obviously, unless i'm willing to do the appropriate automake
rules myself - my opinion is irrelevant :P

--
 - Gus