We are using LTO tapes where I work and all that's on them is tar files.
Nothing more and nothing less.

The scripts in use a slight modification to the ones with the tar source.

Restoring is easy as tar xvf /dev/tape and using mt fsf 1 to get to the
right file.

As far as a third party restoring stuff it should be easy so long as they
have a lto drive. + some unix + tar

As far as ourselves we have 2 locations where ech location stores the
other locations tapes.