What version of perl is your script using? It sounds like you have both 5.6
and 5.8 installed with the script using 5.6 but the version used to install
the modules (and probably the first in your PATH) being 5.8, but this is
just a guess.

do "type -a perl" and then use full pathname with for perl with the
--version  option.

If you use the full path name for perl when installing the modules they
should land in the right path. I wouldnt use a symlink.

BB