Hi,

I have a few machines running Debian Potato and I wish to upgrade
openssl on them to fix the buffer overflow issue recently discovered. Debian have
released an updated package for Woody that resolves this issue
but have not (last I checked) done this for Potato. I was considering
downloading the updated source from openssl.org and compiling it
but I have a few concerns. Specifically:

1) Do I need to recompile all packages which use the openssl libraries?

for that matter,

2) how do I tell what for sure what applications use the openssl
libraries? I know that ssh does, and apache-ssl probably does too

3) I presume I only need to recompile stuff that is linked statically
but I am not sure how to tell which applications link statically and which dynamically
to openssl libraries. If they are dynamically linked, I presume all
I need to do to test whether the upgrade is compatible is restart
the application (although I notice on RedHat's site they suggest
rebooting the machine, something which I need to avoid due to it
being a production machine).

4) My other concern relates to what I do with the old packages: can
I just forcibly remove openssl? Or will this cause all the
Debian packages which rely upon it to break? My plan would
be to install the new openssl in /usr/local/ssl as the root whereas
the Debian package is in /usr/bin and /usr/lib. Does this
mean I have to get source tarballs for everything which I guess
would be using openssl and recompile them pointing to the new openssl
libraries etc? Its beginning to look like a pretty scary task...

Ideally I would upgrade to Woody, but that will have to wait
for now...

Many thanks for suggestions.

Regards,

Campbell