<quote who="Melinda Taylor">

> However, if I set the boottime run level to 5 (ie X starts up at boot)
> when I try to do the same thing (CNTRL-ALT-F1) it just brings up a grey
> screen when I execute "X :1 -indirect server vt8" and doesn't ever present
> a chooser screen. The X error log /varr/log/Xfree:1.log doesn't tell me
> anything either, no error messages....
>
> Can someone else try this out on their machine and see. Note that when
> booting up in runtime 5 and executing 'startx -- :1 vt8' to start another
> X session -  does work, but startx can't be used to connect to a remote
> server that is broadcasting (am I correct?)

*boggle*

Strangely enough, I was trying to do this the other night at Granville TAFE,
to give my Debian talk. My iBook doesn't have VGA output, so I often use GDM
and someone else's notebook and X server to do talks.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get it going, with exactly the same problems
you've described. I did not try getting out of runlevel 5.

  (This is a good example why using inittab for X is a bad idea - I couldn't
  simply stop kdm and do my own thing.)

I reckon you should take this up on one of the Red Hat lists if you don't
get an answer here.

- Jeff

--
   "I think hot Chinese girls who kick ass are the wave of the future, as
                      far as films go." - Cody Russell