Hi,
    I have a tv tuner card (pv-bt878p+ w/FM) going ok with xawtv. It can
save
"avi" files, at the rate of about 160 meg per minute. Xanim plays it
back.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding my way round the the rest of it
though.  I have been looking at the debian/woody vstream package,
mjpegtools, and fame et al, and getting problems such as:
- lavrec fails in an ioctl call
- stream trys to open ludicrous device files, and attempts to open
read/write
- mjpegtools fails to compile.
- The linux howto suggests a completely unknown package, called vcr.
- fame fails to compile, and a third utility with it wouldnt even
unpack.

What I want to know is, whats the secret here? How do you make
compressed
videos? Has anybody able to string complete sentences together
documented it? Something out there has to work. Especially with a debian
system. If anyone knows, please post me a few links.