From: "Wienand Ian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 1:45 PM
Subject: RE: [SLUG] download speeds

> >I'm running Redhat 7.3 through a coyote firewall connected to a D-link
> >56K modem. What I'm wondering is what sort of download speeds I should
> >be getting.
> >Using wget shows somewhere around 5.5 K/s. Is this more or less what
> >to expect? I realise that it can vary according to traffic, etc.
>
> Well, 56k bps = 56 * 1000 bits per second
> 56000 bps/ 8 = 7000 bps
> 7000 bytes / 1024 bytes (1kB)= 6.8 kB/s
>
> But realistically 5.5 kB/s sustained is about as fast as you're going to
> get, and fast as i've ever experienced over 56k.
>
> -i
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.wienand.org

> CAUTION: This message may contain confidential information intended only
for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended
recipient of this message, any use or disclosure of this message is
prohibited.  If you received this message in error please notify Mail
Administrators immediately.  You must obtain all necessary intellectual
property clearances before doing anything other than displaying this message
on your monitor.  There is no intellectual property licence.  Any views
expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not
necessarily reflect the views of Woolworths Ltd.