On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Bill Bennett wrote:

> 1) There's a prospect of my being able to acquire CorelDraw for
> Linux in the near future.
>
> So I looked it up. The wretched thing is described as being
> configured for Debian: I use common-or-garden Redhat.

<raises eyebrows>  A commercial piece of software designed for Debian,
without a DeadRa^WRedHat version?  Oh wait, it's Corel; they're good ol'
Debian bigots from way back.

> Can anyone forsee any problems with this?

Possible library issues, of course, but a library is a library.  Something
not installed, perhaps, that should be.  RedHat not being able to comprehend
Debian's package format (if it's a .deb, and if RedHat hasn't got the
appropriate tools - which it should have, one way or another).

> 2) A friend has some software from, I think, SoundForge,
> whereby he can plug in his turntable to his computer and store
> an analogue file for subsequent (a) converting to digital and
> (b) editing---meaning that BLOODY piano pedal squeak that
> ruins any enjoyment of a certain jazz LP could be edited out.

Plugging any analogue audio device into the ADC of your sound card is not
dependent on operating system or application software.  <g>  Recording sound
to .wav is accomplished by any one of N+1 possible applications under Linux.
The sound editing can also be done in a variety of interesting fashions, but
not being a sound geek I couldn't say (well, not that kind of one, anyway).

I think he's got his terminology mixed up; it's not possible to actually
store analogue data in a digital computer, instead, it has to be sampled and
quantised, no matter what you're running.

> (Alright, apologies for introducing coarse and unseemly language into
> SLUG's driven snow. I was overcome at the prospect of a resurrection.)
>
> Unfortunately, the friend is a follower, if reluctantly, of Microsoft.
> He couldn't tell me whether there's analogous software for Linux.

It should be.  Sound recording and editing isn't exactly new technology.