Here's one little thing that bugs me: 2SER (community radio station in
Sydney) broadcast on line, but sadly they require Windows Media Player
7. My question: is there any way of playing such stream in Linux?

I'm aware of Crossover plugins, but their support for Media Player stops
at its version 6.-whatever.

I also looked at mplayer pages, which list a great number of supported
formats but in the end I wasn't sure whether it would do what I want or
not. In any case, I tried to get mplayer running a while back and I
failed miserably...

As I live just up the road the easiest solution for me would be to
simply buy a cheap radio but there are lots of Media Player streams out
there, and it would be handy to be able to access them... as for 2SER, I
even sent them email politely pointing out the advantages of using open
formats when presenting content on the Net, especially for a community
station, but apparently I failed to change their minds :)