<quote who="Voytek Eymont">

> I've installed RH 7.3, Apache, MySQL on P2-266 96MB, 6GB IDE
> after it starts, top shows
>
> 2:45pm  up  3:23,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
> 59 processes: 57 sleeping, 2 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped
> CPU states:  1.1% user,  0.7% system,  0.0% nice, 98.0% idle
> Mem:    94304K av,   70844K used,   23460K free,       0K shrd,    4700K buff
> Swap:  224868K av,       0K used,  224868K free                   27832K cached
>
> at this point, all the stuff runs, but, not in production

That's okay, Linux reports memory in an odd fashion if you're not used to
it. There are lots of emails in the SLUG archives about this (I've sent a
couple, Andrew Bennetts has, etc).

Basically, a lot of the RAM being used above is for cached files. Linux will
free this up if it needs it for software.

> next day, top shows all ram used, and, we're into swap a little
> it seems, I'm leaking ram...? how to identify what's leaking ?

It's probably just swapped out stuff that isn't running. I doubt to you have
a leak anywhere, these kinds of results from free(1) and top(1) are normal.

- Jeff

--
                      My VHS is better than your VHS.