Hi Paul,

This is usually a result of your internet connection configuration resetting
your resolv.conf. There is usually an option to disable this somewhere -
what are you using to connect to your ISP?

Other, more drastic options would be to set up part of your connection
script to re-rewrite the resolv.conf, or set the permissions/immutable bit
on resolv.conf to prevent updates.

Cheers,
Marty

> Dear Molluscs
>
> Could you possibly help me with a small DNS problem.  Up
> until now I have
> been using my ISP's DNS.  I entered the settings during the
> installation.  I
> have just set up a caching nameserver using bind and I want to set my
> resolver configuration to point to my nameserver (my
> nameserver forwards to
> my ISP's DNS).
>
> I have tried typing into resolv.conf to reset my nameserver.
> My caching
> nameserver works fine.  The problem is when I reboot the
> machine it goes
> back to the old settings.  I have tried changing the settings
> using the gui
> program Network Configuration.  I do press save and when I look at
> resolv.conf the changes are there.  However when  I reboot
> once again I go
> back to my old settings.
>
> How can I change resolv.conf permanently?

Netway Networks Pty Ltd
(T) 8920 8877
(F) 8920 8866