<quote who="Mark Munro">

>    I'm trying to setup a linux kernel with via vt8235 support

I have a motherboard with the vt8233 chipset... up until this 2.4.20-pre7
kernel I'm running, I had to patch the chipset in by hand. As pointed out
later in the thread, the process is pretty simple.

The key part of the patch that you've got are the following lines:

-       { "vt8235",     PCI_DEVICE_ID_VIA_8235,     0x00, 0x2f, VIA_UDMA_133
        },
+       { "vt8235",     PCI_DEVICE_ID_VIA_8235,     0x00, 0x2f,
        VIA_UDMA_133 },

and

#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_VIA_8235          0x3177

Everything else is just cleaning up comments and upgrading the version
number that the driver reports. You should have no trouble manually applying
the changes to the 2.4.18 kernel (the patch looks like it's been made
against a later kernel)

So, what you want to do is
a) In drivers/ide/via82cxxx.c:
Cut the first line (above, with a - sign) from within the '#ifdef
FUTURE_BRIDGES...#endif' section, and paste it below the #endif
b) In include/linux/pci_ids.h:
Add the '#define....' line above above the PCI_DEVICE_ID_VIA_86C100A
definition, just search. Don't worry if your file doesn't have the 8233A etc
definitions - they weren't in 2.4.18.

You can apply the other comments changes if you wish to... I'd probably at
least change the 'Version number' and add 8235 to the list of support
chipsets near the top of the file, but that's just me :)

I note also, that the patch hasn't appeared in the latest testing
2.4.20-pre9 kernel, so updating to a more recent kernel won't help you just
yet.

Cheers,
Jan.
--
Jan Schmidt                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Don't Panic" -- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy