On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 23:30, Anthony Gray wrote:
<snipped>
> Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
<snipped>
> firewall   icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
> firewall   tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp
> flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN
> firewall   udp  --  anywhere             anywhere
Everything below this in the INPUT chain will never be reached, this
catches everything, logs it and drops it.

> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:smtp
> flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN
There should be no need to use these flags, in fact I think this will
prevent normal traffic to this port which isn't an initial connection.

When you try to telnet in from the machine itself, is it appearring in
the logs with a source address of 127.0.0.1 or the network IP (Which is
not explicity "unblocked" due to a failure to resolve the name)?

Cheers,
Malcolm V.