many thanks to all who replied - Brad Lay hit it for me when he suggested i
look for the incorrect hostname in sendmail.cf - and there it was set as
the Smart Relay Host.

(*blushes*) i'm _sure_ i grep'd the whole /etc/mail directory looking for
the damn thing but didn't find it... :-)

cheers...

..S.