On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:41:25PM +1100, Tom wrote:
> i have had an absolute shocker with seagate drives.
> i like their scsi drives but as far as IDE goes, NO WAY.
> as was said in a previous post - IDE reliability is basically a thing of the
> past.

I had heard that ide drives were pretty much the same
as scsi drives these days, mechanically at least.
Would make manufacturing sense to me.

Perhaps they do tests on the not quite finished drive
and the ones making the loudest noises get the ide firmware
and the best get the scsi firmware?  Non-destructive testing
will tell you a lot I imagine.

I know one thing; your typical scsi drive gets a lot nicer
life that the typical ide one; scsi drives tend to be
constantly (clean) powered in a clean air-conditioned room
and never moved.

They tend to fail only when being powered on.
I used to maintain a box with tons (>50) of scsi disks and
we use to get one failure almost every time we turned
it on. (every 6 months or so)

IDE drives, by comparison get turned on and off daily,
and live through cold winters and hot summers and cope
with household dust and sometimes ciggy smoke.  And
get shoved around from desk to desk and sometimes via
someones car boot.

Poor things.
Of the four IDE drives I've bought in the last few years
none have failed.  I had one SCSI drive which failed to
start up, but that doesn't really count; it was an old
re-conditioned one.

Matt