I was trying to setup hotplug a few weeks ago to connect my ipaq to my
linux host which i eventually gave up on and uninstalled hotplug etc.

apt worked fine since then up until today when i went to install another
package. Now whenever i try to install or remove any package with apt or
dpkg i get errors similar to the following

(Reading database ... dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/libvncauth0_3.3.3r2-21_i386.deb (--unpack):
 files list file for package `hotplug' is missing final newline
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libvncauth0_3.3.3r2-21_i386.deb
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.

the error is clear on what is wrong however i'm not sure what file i
have to edit to fix this problem.

if anyone can tell me how to fix this or explain what might have caused
it i'd be greatful

Thanks

Anthony