On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 08:55, Simon Bryan wrote:

> Second question today on re-starting! I use a psotgres database on an RH7.2
> server, it installed a postgresql script in /etc/rc.d/init.d however when I
> run it there is no output and nothing happens, the prompt simply displays on
> the next line on the screen. There are no entries in the logs that I can
> find and postgres does not stop\start\restart. The script seems OK to me and
> is 755 owned by root and in the root group

I'll leave the script to the experts, but I can say using the pg_ctl
script seems to be the way to manage postmaster. Quoting from man page,

"pg_ctl is a utility for starting, stopping, or  restarting
postmaster(1),  the PostgreSQL backend server, or displaying the status
of a running postmaster. Although the postmaster  can  be started
manually, pg_ctl encapulates tasks such as redirecting log output,
properly  detaching  from the terminal and process group, and it
provides convenient options for controlled shutdown."

so to start my postmaster, I use:
> /usr/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l logfile start

to stop it:
/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data stop

and to see status:
/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data status