On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 23:59, Chris Barnes wrote:
> I'm running a terminal off ttya which is the only option (besides ttyb
> which isn't really any different)

Just a thought - have you considered doing an automated install?

I've not tried it myself, but in mandrake control center under boot
there's a thing called 'auto-install' which lets you specify whether
each stage of the install is to be automated or manual and as I
understand it then generates a boot floppy.

Is there anything on the machine already? If so you might have more luck
either getting enough mdk9.0 stuff on there manually to be able to run
mandrake control center over ethernet to another computer or
alternatively to just use urpmi to install the stuff you want.

I don't know what goes on these boot disks but I imagine they have a
standard format which could conceivably be modified from an intel box to
match a sparc setup.

Anyway, just a thought. If you can get it on a network that makes things
a lot simpler.

HTH

James.