I just bought an Acecad Flair USB Graphics tablet. Works very nicely
under Windows (ME/2K/XP), with the drivers supplied.

Acecad don't directly support Linux but they do link to
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/edouard.tisserant/acecad/

Now I assume this driver actually works however getting there will be
pretty difficult for the average Joe Blow. It actually suggests that you
need to rebuild both the kernel and Xfree86 to create the kernel module
and the Xfree86 module. Each of these would be presumably well less than
100K (on Intel).

I have noticed that standard RH8 recognizes the tablet, but XFree86 (on
RH8) seems not.

I have built many kernels and Xfree86 distros over the years, but as I
get on I grow a little tired of doing this. ( I had to most recently do
this for a USB Web Camera)

"Philosophically" I was hoping that the modularity of the Kernel and
Xfree86 should allow binary distribution of just the modules (yes, just
like the DLLs/VXDs in Windows :-). I know that Linux is meant to run on
multiple and CPU and hardware platforms. I am not scared of source code,
but it seems strange that :-

1. There seems to be little desire (or maybe the kernel/xfree86 are too
convoluted/platform specific) to allow just distribution of the .o files
plus a script to install the drivers. Why is this so? Even if the
manufacturers don't want to do this, I would have expected that there
might some central repositories of these. (Maybe the Kernel/Xfree86
don't actually allow this, hence the next question)

2. Why do I need to "build" the whole kernel & Xfree86 just to build two
.o driver files? It seems to be highly desirable that the complilation
process ought to be able to allow one to just compile against a set of
header files that define the standard APIs. The objects files create
should then be able to linked completely at run time. The whole "make
config; make; make install, make xmkmf, etc" incantation can't be an
exciting prospect for the average user. Certainly the first time someone
want to add a new bit of hardware would be pretty overwhelming if they
face this.

Hopefully some wiser head than mine can shed light on this.

Martin Visser
Network Consultant
Technology & Infrastructure - Consulting & Integration
COMPAQ, part of the new HP

3 Richardson Place
North Ryde, Sydney NSW 2113, Australia
Phone *: +61-2-9022-1670    Mobile *: +61-411-254-513
   Fax 7: +61-2-9022-1800     E-mail * : martin.visserAThp.com