Andrew McNaughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

*** My reply.

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Louis Selvon wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Louis Selvon wrote:
>
> > Hi Sluggers:
> >
> > I am trying to install the "GD" module on my server.
> >
> > I am encountering problems after running "make".
> >
> > The error I get is shown below
> >
> > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> >
> > LD_RUN_PATH="/usr/lib:/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib" gcc -o blib/arch/auto/GD/GD.so
> > -shared -L/usr/local/lib
> > GD.o    -L/usr/lib/X11 -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lgd -lpng -lz
> > -lfreetype -ljpeg -lm -lX11
> > -lXpm
> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lfreetype
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make: *** [blib/arch/auto/GD/GD.so] Error 1
>
> >Sounds like the install process is failing to find the
> >freetype library.  Is it installed?
>
> Hi Andrew. I just did a "locate freetype", a few things was returned. Is
this
> the one you mean though :
>
> /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6
> /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6.0.1

>That looks like libfreetype is at least partially there, but I suspect
>your installation is incomplete.  At best it's out of date.

>I have the following (freebsd, installed most of a year ago):

>/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.a
>/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so -> libfreetype.so.9
>/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so.9

>I would expect that libfreetype.so is the file (or link) that perl will >be
looking for, and you don't have it.  You may be able to get away with
>adding a symbolic link by that name to the library you have installed, >but
unless there's a compelling reason not to mess with the existing >setup, I'd
go for the latest version while you're at it.

*** Where can I get the latest version , and if possible how do I install this
one I get it ?

> If not where can I get this freetype thing. If yes sounds like I need to
> modify "Makefile.PL" to get it from "/usr/lib". Right !!

>I wondered about that, but also /usr/lib may be implicitly included.  If
>there is a problem of this sort you should look into your perl
>installation's configuration rather than the Makefile.PL file.

*** What is the Perl installation configuration ? Is it like the paths
included in @INC etc ... ?

> Also when I removed the "freetype" switch I got an error with "/usr/bin/ld:
> cannot find -lX11"

>Is X Windows installed? (eg it's not on the server whih is the only
>machine I have ready access to from this cafe).  I haven't used GD, but
>I'd expect that it should be installable on a server with minimal X >stuff.

>If X is there (`locate libX11`), then that supports the idea that it's
>locating the directories that's the problem.

*** Server returned:

[root@ensim admin]# locate libX11
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.2
[root@ensim admin]#

So it's installed, but again is the version out of date ?

> Also What is the command to find the current version of "libgd" that is
> installed ?

>`locate libgd` and look at the version numbers in the file?  Depending on
>your distribution though it's probably better to look to the package
>management system for answers if you can, because it may have
>patches applied by your distribution's vendor or contributors.

*** I found out the command to run and here is what I get for the current
version:

[root@ensim admin]# rpm -qa | egrep '^gd-'
gd-devel-1.8.3-7
gd-1.8.3-7
[root@ensim admin]#

When I did "make", it said that version 1.8.4 or higher is required. Mine does
not say that.

Where can I get version 1.8.4, and how is this installed ?

I'd appreciate any more comments you have on this.

Louis