Mplayer is a better one for movies IMHO. It does virtually
all Codecs (sorenson's a pain still), *and* can encode
them too. It supports hardware accellerated video,
meaning I can play a 700x400 full fram divx with
negligible CPU load. Together with fb, tvout and
lirc support, you can do proper armchair divx watching.

Under debian unstable, you can install it easily.

Add 'deb http://marillat.free.fr/ unstable main' to
your sources and 'apt-get install mplayer-i386'.

Check http://marillat.free.fr/ for all the possible
packages you might also need (libavifile or mencoder
for example).

Erich Schulz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered the following thing:
> I am trying to get a viewer for DivX avi files to run under linux.
>
> I downloaded the XMMS plug in from their site and ran configure, which
> failed on the following:
>
> gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/include/glib-1.2
> -I/usr/lib/glib/include -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/X11R6/include   conftest.c
> -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lgthread
> -lglib -lpthread -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm conftest.c
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXi
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> Which has me baffled because libXi lives in /usr/X11R6/lib, as specified
> by -L/usr/X11R6/lib. I tried running the same command from the console
> same problem, when I take the -lXi, then ld fails on the next library.
>
> I ran ldconfig again to make sure, and the X11 path was in ld.so.config
>
> Any clues?
>
> Cheers
>
> Erich
>
> --