FWIW, I've had two 12 month old IBM Deathstars go in the last 3 weeks.

The "tapping" was more of a grinding when running scandisk.

David

David wrote:

every time I have had tapping sounds from a disk, a hardware failure has
happened soon afterwards. I strongly suggest you do a thorough back up as
a first step.

It depends what you mean by "tapping" ....