I asked a similar question to this the other day ( See my post 'Learning
about security').

Basically I wanted to know: If a firewall explicitly DROP's all new
connections on the external (ppp0 in my case) interface, how can
a cracker get access to the sshd/telnetd/httpd/whatever running on
that firewall machine?  The firewall does allows ESTABLISHED or RELATED
connections on that inteface though. ( Ala Rusty's quick Firewall
rules from the HOWTO)

cheers
Steve

--
"We live in an age of continuous partial attention."
--Ms. Linda Stone, researcher and VP at Microsoft

http://www.helmsdeep.net/capn-k/
Linux | Windows | CAD | Audio Visualisation and more