I recently had a similar problem (rsync stalling when ssh'd accross a
network) which was solved by adding -vvv to the options. It seemed to be
some sort of timing problem, which forcing verbose mode resolved.

Since then i've removed the -vvv and it no longer stalls.

This proves that administering linux is not an exact science, and that
your problem may also be resolved with newt's eyes or frog's livers, or
both in a mysterious combination.

David.