I've inherited an old pc working(perfectly) as an internet router.
I don't think it's been upgraded in about 2 years and I have no idea what
version of Linux it's running.
I'm moving to ADSL and will need to modify it's config in the near future,
so I need to know what distribution I'm using (or doesn't it matter).

uname -a returns :
Linux gw 2.0.35 #2 Thu Mar 4 23:35:24 EST 1999 i586

I understand 2.0.35 is the version - but which distribution of Linux ?
I'd also love to know how I tell the hardware config of the machine without
pulling it apart. Anyone spot me a handy unix command for this one ?

Cheers

Peter Hewett
Director
CommunEcom Strategic Communications
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence."
- Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)

This correspondence is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential or legally privileged information and is intended solely for
the named addressee.  If you receive this correspondence in error, please
immediately delete it from your system and notify the sender.  You must not
disclose, copy or rely on any part of this correspondence if you are not the
intended recipient.