With faxing through a fax-modem, you have two choices:
Class 1: computer does a lot of work, very timing critical
Class 2 or 2.0: modem does a lot of the work, many modems are buggy

Your Mileage will vary.

Class 1 needs a dedicated or idle box.
Class 2 needs a good modem.

Other things:

search around for fax2pdf, we have plugged it into hylafax,
it is much cooler getting a PDF than a postscript file,
and it's smaller in size, and looks better on screen, especially
if you use acrobat 5 or ghostview with graphic smoothing,
ideal for forwarding to others.  fax2ps |ps2pdf will give you
a much larger, uglier looking file.

Beware the Tiff. tiff is a very multi-faceted file format,
many tools which handle tiff only handle certain flavours.

Tiffsplit is handy for splitting your fax into pages.

cheers,
Woody