Hi Peter,

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 13:29:42 +1100
Peter Vogel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am trying to configure a firewall for my new Reddhat 8 installation,
> operating as a masquerading internet gateway.
>
> I have tried various IPTABLES scripts I have found on the net, but they
> generate lots of errors when I  try to run them; some examples:
>
> Unkown arg --sport
> --state Command not found
> -j Command not found
> DNAT command not found
>
> Iptables version is V1.2.6a
>
> Any suggeestions what I've done wrong?

If the Monmotha scripts (see below) don't work, there is a good chance
that you may not have all the necessary iptable and NAT stuff compiled
into your kernel.

Is your's a custom kernel or the default Redhat one?

> Can anyone direct me to a script that would be a suitable template (for
> an  internet server/gateway connected to a lan)?

I found the Monmotha firewall script very easy to set up. Its available
here:

    http://monmotha.mplug.org/firewall/index.php

Its basically a shell script with some configuration stuff at the top
and a whole bunch of stuff below that should be ignored :-).

Cheers,
Erik (Fairlight ESP employee from 1995 to 2000 :-))