It sounds like you are talking about packet analysers, you could have a
look at www.snort.org there is some info with configuring snort with
iptables to create an active firewall.

Tripwire is pretty much useful to inform you after the fact that someone
has modified a file on you system, as long as you have stored the files
created by tripwire on a floppy, probably best if you have tripwire
binary on the floppy as well. You'll never know how good (or bad) a
cracker/worm wants too be.

--
Kevin Saenz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>