Funny you ask...i just replied to something similar on
another list only minutes ago. :)

This is what I'm doing: http://www.cactii.net/temp.html

Need to mail order the hardware from canada, about $CAD40. And
probably be proficient at soldering, etc...they might do pre-soldered
versions.

Otherwise it's very useful. It spits data from up to four
sensors (which are up to 200m away) as ascii to a serial
port.

BB

Matthias Oertli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered the following thing:
> Hi,
>
> I'm after hardware/software that would facilitate taking temperature
> measurements periodically and storing those numbers.
>
> Ideally the measurement probe would be plugged in to a serial or
> paralell port and software (running on linux, naturally) would take a
> readout periodically.
>
> Would anybody know if such a thing exists and if so where I could get it?
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Best regards,
> Matthias
>
> --