Hi all,

I have a friend who wants to swap Debian Woody (3.0?) for Redhat 8.0.

I'm not particularly happy Redhat 8.0, preferring 7.3 and am looking to change
distros.  I have always wanted to try Debian, but after frustrating network
and video problems, I never got past the install with "potato".

Here are my main concerns.  I have a Dual head ATi Radeon 7500 which I'm happy
to write XF86Conf files for, but I have heard that Debian does not support
the Radeon cards.  I could work around this by using a text based internet
browser to download the latest Xfree stuff (4.1 or whatever it is now).  But
I also have a Realtek Rtl8139 100 base network card that Debian "potato"
would not recognise.  Which makes it hard to log into the server to access
the internet.

Hardware is AMD XP1700, 1 GB PC 2100 DDR-Ram, IDE 1 60GB Seagate HDD (pri) 52X
Cdrom (sla) IDE2 CD-RW (pri) (may possibly be adding 40GB seagate this
weekend)
AGP, Generic "powered by" ATi Radeon Dual Head 7500;  PCI slot 5 RTL8139
100Base network card.

Can anyone see any possible "unsupported" hardware problems and can anyone
suggest work arounds for those problems?

Regards

Mick