On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 14:34, David Kempe wrote:
> Have you still got the serial cable that came with the modem?
> If so you need to plug it into a spare serial port, bark up your favourite
> comms program (like minicom) and connect at 9600,8,N,1

Great, thanks!  I can talk to the modem now.

> You can then do a itex mode auto at the prompt and then config save at the
> prompt and it should change the way it detects the line sync.

Where can I read up on the commands?  If I type help when connected to
the modem it lists the commands (including itex), but does not explain
what they do :-/  I've looked in the manual - even downloaded the latest
from d-link, but I've found no clear description.

> This may of course have nothing to do with it, as you could just have line
> noise from the rain we have been having (or something else completly).

Well, things have been flaky all this year.  I had no problems at all in
2002, but so far 2003 has not been good for the link light on my modem
:-(

Many thanks,
        Bruce