On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 22:50, an unknown sender wrote:
> More information.
> this is the out put of
> #cat /proc/scsi/scsi
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: EagleTec Model: External Hard Di Rev: 0002
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: LG       Model: CD-RW CED-8080B  Rev: 1.05
>   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> So, the harddisk should be /dev/sda
> i tried both mount /dev/sda and /dev/sda1 ... all failed with
> xxxxxx is not a valid block device

This sounds exactly like the problem I was having a while back. Peter
Hardy pointed me in the right direction, and I'll quote from his
message:

"This looks like the device described at
http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=1303
but I can't be sure without checking the device ID.  Use lsusb from a
sommand line, or the usbview tool to get the ID for your drive and
compare.  If not, searching the working devices list for that ID should
hopefully dig up what you're looking for.

If that is it, then according to that page the device works well after
editing a source file and compiling a new kernel."

... so my suggestion would be, check your device in that database at
qbik.ch, and see if you can find anything. In my case, I was using
Libranet with kernel 2.4.19, yet it wasn't recent enough - moving to
2.4.20 solved my problem.
Good luck!