Hi James et al:

I just looked into the firewall configuration option
from the web when installing Linux. See

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.1-Manual/install-guide/s1-guimode-firewall.html

I short I'm pretty sure I selected "Medium"

I cannot remember if I ticked anything in the Trusted Devices part, and also
don't recall if "eth0" was shown there. From my understanding of what the
above url is saying if "eth0" is not ticked for Trusted Devices
then external network connections will fail.

For Allow Incoming, I'm pretty sure I selected everything.

Is there a way to check these settings after installation, and edit
as desired ?

Louis.

"LS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

Windows says the card is :
"3com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI NIC (3C905-TX)"

>> > However once I go in Linux, although
>> > eth0 comes up (this coming up just detects
>> > the IP address I manually allocated),
>> > the network connection breaks down.
>> > From Windows master the ping also fails.
>>
>> hrmm. What exactly do you mean? ifconfig is showing an IP
>> address but you can't ping?

What I mean is that pinging the Network card on the Master
Windows from Linux gives Network is unreachable.

ifconfig on Linux still shows that the IP address I allocated
is there.

However from Linux I can ping "localhost", the IP address I allocated
for eth0 and the loopback IP 127.0.0.1 .

Only pinging external network fails.

>> if ifconfig shows an ip address in '/sbin/ifconfig eth0',
>> then odds are that you have the right driver and it has
>> loaded (though this is not
>> *necessarily* true). If that is the case then I would
>> suspect other network problems.
>>
>> I'm pulling at straws here, but try the following as root
>>
>> /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables stop
>> /etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop

>> ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up
>> modprobe 3c59x
>> ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.23 up

I've attached a log file called "etho.logs" that
shows the output from each of these commands.

>> And then go to your windows machine and type 'ping
>> 192.168.0.23' - this requires that your ip address on the
>> windows machine is 192.168.0.something. This may or may not
>> be the case. If it isn't, then change the line 'ifconfig
>> eth0 192.168.0.23 up' to 'ifconfig eth0 192.168.somethingelse.23 up'

I am not sure what you are saying by the statement :

"this requires that your ip address on the
windows machine is 192.168.0.something"

When I type "ipconfig" on the master PC, I see the following:

C:\>ipconfig

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.79.149
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

PPP adapter Ozemail_Unlimited:

        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

C:\>

Anyway I tried the ping and I get this output from the
Master PC:

C:\>ping 192.168.0.23

Pinging 192.168.0.23 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.23:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum =  0ms, Average =  0ms

C:\>

>> Now what that does is walk you through about half of the
>> steps that the network loading scripts perform when your
>> computer boots. If you don't get any errors, then the
>> network card is almost certainly working and you've got
>> another problem like a firewall or something. However, in
>> the alternative case when it fails, you'll know exactly
>> which part of the process it fails on. I don't know if
>> 'network stop' will unload the driver. IIRC it will unload
>> it if you leave the network down for 20 minutes (there's a
>> cron job that unloads unused modules and runs every 20
>> minutes, I think), so you might get a message saying
>> 'module/driver blah is already loading.' or something like
>> that. Don't worry about that. BUT if you get other messages,
>> they might prove to be interesting.
>>
>> So the first two lines stop all the network stuff that is
>> currently running so we have a clean sheet of computer to
>> work on. The next line brings up the 'loopback interface' -
>> which is a "virtual" interface that allows you to have
>> network connections initiated and ending on your local
>> computer. The next line 'modprobe <something I'm not going
>> to mistype 15 times again>' actually loads the driver. I
>> expect you will have a problem on either this line or the
>> next one. The next line asks linux to assign an IP address
>> to your ethernet card and bring it 'up' - start listening
>> for connections.
>>
>> ooh - also, while you're doing this, keep another xterm open
>> and run 'tail -f /var/log/messages' and watch this at every
>> step. This will give you a running commentary on things that
>> go wrong (or right) with your computer. It might give you
>> some error messages that you don't get otherwise.

Please refer to the attached log file for details of each command.
In summary no errors of some sort came up with any of them.

>> > From the url
>> > http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
>> > drivers for 3c59x.o I believe also can be used for my etho 3com
>> > EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI NIC (3c905-TX) Boomerang
>> > adaptor on the slave.
>>
>> Yep. I'd guess that you have the right driver. Have a look
>> in /etc/modules.conf - this is the file that says what
>> driver belongs to what device (roughly). See if you have a
>> line in there containing your driver. Alternatively, if you
>> have any lines that say 'eth0' and don't have your driver in
>> there, they are wrong. Tell us about them, we need to fix them.

Again I have pasted what I saw in this file. I can see that
eth0 points to the right driver.

>> > Are there any extra steps I am missing that's causing
>> > Linux to break the connection ?
>>
>> Well, there must be, otherwise the connection would work :)
>>
>> But I need a bit more feedback from the computer to diagnose
>> the problem.

I hope what I gave above will help. If not please let me know
what else you need.  Since I can mount my slave windows drive
from linux, it's easy now for me to give exact outputs.

>> > I'm pretty sure I did netconf as quoted below.
>> >
>> > Would upgrading to a more recent Linux distribution package solves
>> > this problem ?
>>
>> good question. One to which I don't have a specific answer.
>> I will say that Redhat 8.0 (and the 8.1 beta, from looking
>> over people's shoulders at work) is a huge leap forward. I
>> would be surprised if you installed redhat 8.0 and your card
>> didn't work, but I don't actually know, and to be fair I'm
>> surprised you are having as much trouble as you are. A few
>> pointers if you do decide to:

I am considering upgrading at some stage but I'm sure Red Hat 7.2
Should not have that many problems. It detected the ethernet card.

As I said before on the Master PC I had Norton Firewall
Installed which was blocking me to see the slave worstation
when in windows there as well. I have removed this firewall
Software and now can see the other worstation from slave
windows.

One thing though I remember whan installing Linux there
was a question about type of security to use. I don't remember all
the details, like if it was applicable to network
connection, but I selected medium. Actually I just rebooted
Linux, and while booting I saw something that says
"Applying IP chains firewall rules  [OK]".

Is there a way to check if Linux install has put a firewall
there ?

Also another question I have what is the default gateway and
What do I normally allocate for this?
When playing around with netconf and browsing the web
I read about setting up a default gateway for external
connectivity.

I'm sure learning a lot from all of this.

Louis