At 03 Mar 2003 08:38:40 +1100, Alan L Tyree wrote:
> What do emacs users use for mail other than Rmail. I find that I am
> spending more and more time in emacs. VM? MH? any other?

Rmail sucks.  its basically emacs' mail(1).

VM is good, but uses its own format to store mail.  It was important
to me that my mail client didn't do that (since I like to be able to
change mail clients easily).  If that doesn't bother you, I recommend
you give VM a try.

GNUS is good.  I haven't used it for a long time, but I see many
people who use it.  Since its heritage is as a news reader, it deals
with mailing lists extremely well (scoring, filtering, etc).  I
believe it does IMAP, etc (it supports many backends).  Apparently it
can even view an RSS feed as a mailbox, which is quite cool.

Emacs' MH is supposed to be good if you use MH already for mail, I
don't (and never have).

Wanderlust is really good, particularly with disconnected (offline)
IMAP.  Its on a par with evolution feature-wise, except that for some
reason it can't read mbox files directly (need to bounce through an
IMAP server or use Maildir or something).  Seems to combine many of
the good bits of GNUS, with a reasonably easy to use gui interface.
The only downside (other than the mbox thing) is that its from the
Japanese Free Software Alternate Dimension and so its a little hard to
find english documentation (basic user docs are fine; advanced
customisation examples are scarce).  It took me a bit of customising
before I had it up to the standard of my previous mutt configuration,
but now I'm very happy with it.

Another Japanese Free Software Alternate Dimension product is Mew.
Wanderlust borrows many of its keybindings, etc from Mew which is why
it feels a little unfamiliar to mutt-trained fingers.  I don't know
much about it, but I don't know why you would use it when wanderlust
was available.

Otherwise, you can use mutt with your editor set to "gnuclient -nw -f
post-mode" or something (post-el.deb for debian users).

One of the main advantages to using emacs for mail reading (I found),
is the easy customisation and heavy integration.

For example, It was a few lines of simple elisp to have the
appropriate bug numbers become hyperlinks to the Debian BTS, or to our
company RT web pages.  I have the BBDB address book automatically
tracking names, companies, x-face images, last subject line, whether
I've seen the person on a Debian or SLUG mailing list, etc - which is
much better than a manual address book.  Adding support for the new
Face header (base64 encoded PNG) was a simple matter of
cutting-and-pasting half a page of elisp code - no recompile
necessary.

Wanderlust/XEmacs configuration files availble on request, if anyone
decides to try wanderlust, I strongly recommend they grab my ~/.wl,
rather than grope through automatically translated Japanese web pages
as I did..

--
 - Gus