On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 18:59, Louis Selvon wrote:
> Hi James et al:

Hi Louis.

> I have installed VNC version 3.3 on the master machine running Windows 2000.
>
> I have also installed VNC version 2.8 on the slave PC running Linux.
>
> I opened VNC on the master PC and entered the IP address for the Linux
> machine, and I got connect failed after I connect.
>
> Is there anything I have to do on the Linux machine, like start a client ?

yes, you need to start a vnc server on the linux machine. Probably best
to read the docs it ships with. It's pretty easy to get running.

> Also how do I do these fancy X forwarding stuff with VNC ?

You don't. X forwarding is an alternative to vnc. Actually, maybe that
should go the other way around.

> No help manual was installed from the software I installed.

ok, well you're running an ancient version. I suggest you just get the
rpms and install them - on my machine there is a separate docs package
for vnc with its docs.

Alternatively, there are heaps of docs on the internet, but IIRC you can
just start the server, set a password and connect directly with the
client.

The only gotcha is that if you setup an initscript for it, you must run
it manually first time. Otherwise it will hang on boot waiting for you
to enter a password.

James.