you could try

RedirectMatch /* http://www.mydomain.com/with/a/long/path/index.html

Being in a VirtualServer shouldn't matter. It works for me.

I'm not sure what difference there is between RedirectMatch and
RedirectPermanent though. Some erudite person might tell us ;-)

BTW, I have an idea that you might need the full URL.. .including the
http:// part. But then I could be wrong. That's the way I did it. Once I
get something working I'm inclined not to mess around any further.

David.