At Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:59:45 +1100, Doug Stalker wrote:
> From: Lester Cheung [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > What's the point of chrooting if you hardlink the files?
>
> It was for setting up a development environment - I basically wanted
> different libraries under /lib without having to build an entire system.
> 'cp -al' turned out to be the solution, as it crates all the needed
> directories and populates them with hard-links to files.

note also 2.4's "bind" mounts which are real good for this,
eg (/etc/fstab lines):

 /home   /usr/local/chroot/unstable/home none    bind    0       2
 /tmp    /usr/local/chroot/unstable/tmp  none    bind    0       2
 /usr/local/src /usr/local/chroot/unstable/usr/local/src none bind 0 2

(on my system /home is in turn an nfs mount, so stuff like that still
seems to work ok)

--
 - Gus